The TEI Guidelines in your palm!
While preparing for a longish trip, I did not want to leave without
having the Guidelines for
Electronic Text Encoding and Interchange in its latest
incarnation in my pocket.
To solve this problem, I downloaded the HTML files from the above
site (slightly edited them to make it suitable for the format), created an Open Ebook definition file
and used the MobiPocket
Publisher to convert the set of HTML files into a single
compressed file suitable to be read on Palm or PocketPC devices. The
MobiPocket publisher is free for personal use, but redistribution of
the generated files is not permitted.
What can be redistributed is the source and an explanation on how
to create it yourself. The following is necessary:
- Download the P4X-oeb.ZIP zip archive with all
necessary files (about 1.6 MB)
- Download and install the MobiPocket Publisher from the MobiPocket
website. (This is a Windows only program :-(
- Unpack the files from the P4X-oeb.ZIP into a temporary directory
- Doubleclick on the file "new-teip4x.opf"
- This should open the MobiPocket Publisher (since there are many
files, this might take a while). Somewhere in the upper middle of the
program window is a buttton "Publish". Press this button and click on
the link "Publish for MobiPocket Reader Format (PRC)". Continue with
the default options until you reach the screen finished.
- You will now have a file "new-teip4x.prc", which contains the
whole Guidelines in one compressed file (about 2.3 MB). Transfer this
file to your palm device.
- To read the file, you will nead the program "MobiPocket Reader"
which is also available from the MobiPocket website for a variety of
Last modified: 02-07-13